Search the First Church Site:


About Us > History of First Church

Our Beliefs

Our Mission

History of First Church

Contact Us

First Church circa 1870

 

HISTORY OF FIRST CHURCH
Founded 1830

A regional church serving Cuyahoga Falls, Stow, Tallmadge, Silver Lake, Munroe Falls, Hudson, Bath, Northfield, Norton, Kent, Akron, Fairlawn, Uniontown and Streetsboro

  

The ministry and outreach of First United Methodist Church reaches local, national and world needs, with support for Christian missions in sixty-one foreign countries as well as aid for people in our own area.  We minister to a large geographical region in our area serving people as close as next door, and throughout all of the communities listed above.  Preaching has always been an important part of our worship life at First Church.  All our clergy strive to communicate contemporary and relevant messages which encourage persons in their faith journey.

We have an outstanding youth ministry, offering three summer camps, choirs, weekly fellowship meetings and social activities.  A two year Confirmation program prepares youth for church membership.

Music has always been a vital part of the life and worship of the congregation and we have a rich musical tradition.  The first small pipe organ was purchased in 1864 and an interesting note tell us that remodeling in 1885-87 made room for a "chorus choir" of 30 people.  Today there are over 300 persons involved in our music program, a four manual pipe organ in the sanctuary and a two manual pipe organ in our chapel. 

Sunday School, Sunday Youth Fellowship meetings, Confirmation classes, retreats and camps continue to be a large part of our program ministry.  Bible studies are offered each year and many Bible fellowship groups meet regularly in homes.

Missions are an ongoing priority at First Church.  We have always believed that God calls us into the world to assist those in need.  The community of faith here at First Church feels privileged to be in mission wherever the cry of the needy is heard.

Our Weekday Christian Preschool is part of our Ministry, serving ninety children each year from September through May.  The church has been the home for active Scouting programs for over 80 years.  A large Al-Anon group meets here regularly, as do CODA, and an Alzheimers Support Group for Caregivers.


First Church

First Church is the largest congregation of the eight hundred sixty-five United Methodist Churches in the East Ohio Congerence.

This congregation was founded in 1830 in a school building on the corner of Front Street and Wadsworth Avenue where a Methodist circuit rider would preach.  The town "fathers" planned for three churches on the square where the present church building now stands.  The town plat was dedicated in 1837, and our congregation's first building was erected in 1840.  In 1920, that building was replaced by another on the same site.  In 1952 the education building, which still stands as part of our present building, was added.  The present sanctuary was built in 1965 and the 1920 building interior has been changed and is kept updated as times demand.  A major capital improvement program occurred in 1984-85, creating improvements with the heating system, improvements and changes to the central offices, improved accessibility for the elderly and handicapped, major roof replacements and renovation of the lower level of the education building.  Two parking lots were added in 1993.  Major improvements and renovations were also completed in the later part of 1987, 1991 and 1997.

We at First United Methodist Church invite all without a church home to unite with us and become an active part of a vital and growing church for Christ!


First Church w/Education Bldg. circa 1950





Copyright © 2017, First United Methodist Church of Cuyahoga Falls, All Rights Reserved.

Powered by churchMpower, a Church Content Management System
by Walking Stick Communications.